About the Club…..
In September 1940, a group of about 30 Montgomery businessmen, all interested in the sport of football, met at what was then the Jeff Davis hotel for the purpose of organizing the Montgomery Quarterback Club. The charter members came together for one day a month, at noon, during football season to enjoy a good meal, good fellowship, and listen to a football-oriented speaker.
Some of the charter members were Sam Adams, Doug Amos, Tom Barnes, Marlin Dyess, Jimmy Hawthorne, Joe Hendrick, Harry Kaminsky, Max Mosley, Frank McGough, “Pop” Paterson, Billy Parton, Dr George Penton, Howard Pill, Neal Posey, and Bill Wilbanks. Howard Pill was elected the first Head Coach and Billy Parton was elected the first Captain.
As with many sports during that era, World War II caused the organization to “low-key” its’ operations until 1947, when the quarterback club, with 182 members now on the roll, came back bigger and better than ever.
The late University of Alabama Head Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant and Auburn University’s legendary Head Coach Ralph “Shug” Jordan were speakers at very special annual dates when the two head coaches of the states’ largest institutions of higher learning, Alabama and Auburn, would visit the Quarterback Club.